The flip cup pour technique, is an exciting acrylic pouring technique that will bring some vibrancy into your home. With this tutorial, we’ll show you how easy it is to create stunning abstract works of art with just a few supplies.
We’ll take you through the steps required to create your very own Flip Cup Pour painting. So grab your canvas and get ready!
Disclaimer: Fine Art Tutorials is a reader supported site. When you make purchases through links on this site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
What is the flip cup pour technique?
Flip Cup Pour is an acrylic painting technique that involves layering fluid acrylics into a cup, which is then flipped over onto the surface of the painting. As you lift the cup, the paint spills out in a spontaneous and unpredictable pattern, creating unique cell formations and psychedelic effects.
Flip cup pour supplies
- Canvas or another painting surface
- Fluid acrylic paint (such as Golden Fluid Acrylics): choose a base colour such as white, then curate your own preferred palette of colours
- Pouring Medium (such as the Golden Pouring Medium)
- Silicone oil to create cells (optional)
- Individual cups to mix colours and mediums
- A large cup for the pour
- Stirring sticks
- Gloves to protect your hands
- Palette knife to cover edges
- Protective covering for the workspace
How to Create a Flip Cup Pour Painting?
- Begin by preparing your workspace, covering the area with protective layers. Make sure to wear gloves and an apron to protect your clothing.
- Mix each of your chosen colours with the pouring medium. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions, or consult our pouring mediums guide for more information. Mix colours with the medium, using one cup per colour.
- Optionally mix silicone oil, with a couple of drops per colour.
- Pour a little of each colour at a time in the larger cup, alternating colours, until the cup is full. Add a higher proportion of your base colour to the mix to create negative space. Leave some of your base colour over, incase you need to use it at the end to fill in the edges.
- Place the canvas face down over the cup with all the colours in, aligning the cup with the centre of the canvas.
- Make sure that you hold the canvas and cup together, so that the canvas seals the paint in the cup. Then quickly and carefully flip both the canvas and cup upside down together.
- The cup should now be upside down on the canvas, if it’s worked well, then the paint should have remained in the cup. Let the paint sit for a minute to prevent air bubbles.
- Then lift the cup from the canvas, watching the paint spill across the surface.
- Once the paint has spread, tilt the canvas so that the paint reaches the edges. You may need to pour some of the additional base colour to fill in any bare sections.
- Use a palette knife to manipulate sections of the paint. The palette knife will release cell formations. However, you can also use the knife to cover corners and edges.
- Use a heat gun to get rid of any air bubbles in the painting.
- Once the entire canvas is covered, let it dry for 24-48 hours. When it’s completely dry through, you can start varnishing and framing!
Flip cup pour painting tips
- Choose a colour palette that creates a cohesive piece of art. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different color combinations!
- To achieve different effects, be selective with your colours. For example, if you want to create a galaxy themed acrylic pour, choose black as a base colour and use purples and dark blues for your colours.
- Use additional acrylic painting techniques to add interest to the piece. For instance, the splatter technique is a great way to add lots of dots, which could resemble stars.
- Use the stirrers to mix silicone oil lightly. If you overmix the colours, the cells will appear smaller.
- You may need an extra support to hold the canvas, to allow paint to drip off the edges. Like a cardboard box that is slightly smaller than the canvas, for example, or a metal grate cooling rack that you don’t mind getting paint on.
The flip cup acrylic pouring technique is a great way to create beautiful and unique paintings. With the right supplies, colours, and techniques you can make stunning works of art that will be sure to impress your friends and family. By following these tips, you’ll have all the tools necessary for creating an amazing masterpiece with ease. Once complete, don’t forget to protect it with varnish or a frame so that it lasts forever! So grab some paint, fire up your creative juices, and get ready to pour like a pro! If you want to learn how to create a Dutch pour painting, step by step, check out our guide.